Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11/01

I shared a little about my experience on 9/11/01 in an earlier post, but it really seems to be the thing this year to talk about where you were and what you were doing on this day 7 years ago. I cannot believe it has been 7 years. This is probably the thing that I will think of when asked about significant historical events in my youth. I was a little too young to remember where I was when the Challenger exploded.

I was at work in the Admissions Office when the planes hit the towers. I remember we were all in shock that this could even happen and I remember even thinking how could a plane crash into the tower before we knew about the second plane. I fielded tons of phone calls as to whether the university was still open, which NGCSU chose to be so that students would have resources and could come together in the terrible time in our nation, but most professors canceled their classes.

I didn't get to see any footage of what was going on until just before the South tower fell. I had a not so nice boss that didn't want us leaving, so I went out on a break to go to the Student Center. NGCSU quickly organized a candle light vigil that was attended be probably over half the student body. My sorority sisters and I gathered on the drill field, many of them distraught that their boyfriends had been called up to serve and no one knew what was going on.

While I did not know anyone personally that died in this tragedy a friend's dad would have been killed in the Pentagon had he not been late for work that day. I have many friends who are still fighting the war that truly began this day 7 years ago, and I thank the Lord for them everyday.

Thank you members of the Armed Forces!
Thank you all the heroes and normal citizens called to duty action this day!
My thoughts and prayers are with those who lost loved and those that have family serving our country!

I am proud to be an American and I support our troops!

No comments: